We will never get tired of saying this, eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to eat boring, bland, tasteless food and the perfect example of this can be found in our latest recipe, Zucchini Pizza Boats. With this clean eating recipe, you get all the benefits of pizza without any of the guilt. You can customize your zucchini pizza boats with just about any topping you would like. A fan of Italian sausage, go ahead. Love bacon and pepperoni, be our guest. Want to make it completely vegan, do your thing. The way you top them is completely up to you, just keep it clean and make sure you have wholesome ingredients. We topped our zucchini pizza boats with marinara sauce, black olives, Daiya Vegan Mozzarella cheese, and uncured pepperoni from Wellshire Farms that is free of antibiotics, dairy, gluten, and soy. Pretty classic pizza topics right? Well that’s the idea, we all have the foods that are hard to give up and for us, pizza is one of them. This recipe allows us to have all the benefits of pizza, without feeling guilty about eating the entire pie (we’ve been there, we’ve done that).
This recipe comes at the perfect time because summer means summer squash season. Peak season for zucchini stretches from June to August so that means you want to head to your local farmer’s market or grocery store now to grab some that are fresh from the harvest. If you aren’t a fan of zucchini and want another healthy pizza option, check out the Almond Meal Pizza Crust from Simple Mills.
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 can Organic marinara sauce (We use Whole Foods brand - it contains only Organic ingredients and is sugar-free.)
- 1 2.25 oz can of sliced black olives
- 1 8 oz (Approx. 2 cups) bag of Daiya Mozzarella style cheese or cheese of your choice
- 1 .5 oz bag of uncured pepperoni
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scrape a small amount of flesh out of the cut zucchini to form little boats.
- Season zucchini with salt and pepper.
- Top with sauce. Season again with salt and pepper. Optional seasonings include oregano, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder.
- Top zucchini with olives, cheese, and pepperoni.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.