We love grains but we try to limit them in our diet as much as possible, so when we do include them, we try to prepare them in ways that are as healthy as possible, and that is exactly what we did with our Three Grain Salad. The complex carbs included in our Three Grain Salad are low on the glycemic index, meaning they help prevent large variations in your blood sugar levels after eating, making this the perfect recipe for those trying to watch their blood sugar levels. We include kale, carrots, raisins, and coconut milk dairy-free yogurt to add in a ton of fiber, that helps offset the higher carb totals that the grains bring about. Not to mention these ingredients are packed with essential vitamins that do a body good. The Nielsen Massey Pure orange extract rounds out the flavors and gives the dish a brightness that is hard to replicate with orange juice. We like Massey pure orange extract because it contains natural botanic oils in an alcohol base for the cleanest flavor and quality and is made to the same exacting standards as their famous pure vanilla extract (all bakers know about this vanilla). The salad can be served chilled or warm, but we think it is best when chilled. Pair with a nice piece of salmon and lunch and/or dinner is served. It’s also good by itself for an early afternoon snack that can hold you over until your next full meal.
- Prepare quinoa, farro, and bulgur as directed. Instead of water, try using beef, chicken, or vegetable broth for deeper flavor.
- While grains are cooking, remove stems from kale and slice kale into thin strips.
- Cut carrots into 1/2 inch pieces. Boil until soft then drain away water. Season with cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Add grains and carrots to a large bowl. While grains are warm, mix in kale until it wilts.
- Add in almonds, raisins, yogurt, and orange extract. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill and enjoy!
Let us know how your salad turns out. Feel free to get creative and throw in some other ingredients that think may pair well. We are all about creativity.